Last week, it looked like Anthony’s Fish Grotto was on the bubble, poised to join the local eateries that have had to permanently shutter during the coronavirus crisis. After more than five decades in La Mesa, the longtime seafood restaurant announced on Facebook that it would be ending its takeout and retail operations on Saturday, May 9.
But thanks to an overwhelming response from customers, owner Craig Ghio has decided to reopen Anthony’s Fish Grotto this Wednesday, May 13. It’s on a trial basis though; Ghio says the eatery is resuming takeout and retail for next eight weeks and will see what happens.
Ghio told Eater that he decided to close the restaurant last week to conserve cash until restaurants were notified of the rules for restarting dine-in service. California Governor Gavin Newsom will reportedly be sharing those guidelines on Tuesday, May 12.
Tremendous public support, along with funds received through the Payment Protection Program, prompted the temporary reopening but Ghio will be monitoring the restaurant’s cash flow over the next eight weeks to determine if it can sustain his business under the yet-to-be released guidelines. He said, “If the rules are too onerous and profitable operation doesn’t seem possible we will consider closing permanently.”