The 2019 San Diego County Fair returns today to the Del Mar Fairgrounds and runs through Thursday, July 4; attracting about 1.6 million visitors each year, it’s the largest annual event in San Diego County. This time around, it features a theme inspired by the magical world of “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz”, L. Frank Baum’s classic story.
Besides going on carnival rides, playing games, and checking out the live concerts, the fair is really about eating and drinking. Special events scheduled throughout the summer include the Toast of the Coast wine festival on June 8, an Asian Festival on Saturday, June 15, and The Distilled Spirit and Cocktail Festival on June 22. There’s also a hidden speakeasy (ask for directions) called Wicked Wahine that will serve Hawaiian pupus and tiki cocktails.
But the main attraction is all the indulgent and sometimes very weird food available throughout the fairgrounds. Pro tip: go on Thursdays for “Taste of the Fair” when you can buy taster portions of fair food for just three dollars.
Some of the “Oz-some” new treats include:
- OzSome Crunch Roll (a frosted cinnamon roll topped with Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal) from Country Fair Cinnamon Rolls & Smoothies
- Hot Cheetos Potato (a baked potato with Flamin’ Hot Cheetos sprinkled on top) from Spud Shack
- Nitro Churro (cinnamon and sugar churro dipped into the liquid nitrogen for a crispy churro ice cream pop) from the 1 Candy Factory
- Deep-Fried Crème Brulèe from Chicken Charlie’s
- Scarecrow Dog (a mild polish dog topped with spicy mayo, red bell peppers, fried onions, and fried jalapenos) from Pink’s Hot Dogs
- Peppermint Pickle (a giant dill pickle stuffed with a peppermint stick) from Timbo’s Beef Jerky
- Ding Dong the Witch is Dead (peanut butter-filled ding dongs with chocolate chip cheesecake filling, whipped cream and strawberry jam) from Indian Fry Bread
- Wicked Witch’s Sriracha Ceviche from S.D.’s Original Fish and Chips