Bruxie is happening. To catch you up, the gourmet waffle sandwich shop was originally planning on being a tenant in The Headquarters at Seaport District. Then in March, hearts were broken when Bruxie pulled out of the complex. Spirits were lifted when Rare Form, CH Projects' new deli concept, announced they'd be doing waffle sandwiches and soon after, we got the great news that Bruxie's San Diego store was back in business and found out exactly where and when they'll be opening.
So, to prepare, here are 6 Things to Know About Bruxie:
1. Co-founders and chefs Dean Simon and Kelly Mullarney opened the first Bruxie in Orange County in 2010.
2. This new San Diego shop is the eighth Bruxie location (there are six in the O.C. and one in Denver). The original store is next to Chapman University in Orange; the SD location is next to SDSU, in the former California Kebab space.
3. The thin, crisp, and more savory than sweet Belgian Waffles are made to order.
4. Sandwich fillings includes smoked salmon, prosciutto di parma, Laura Chanel chevre and Belgian chocolate. During holidays, they do seasonal sandwiches, like a lobster waffle roll on the 4th of July or turkey with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving.
5. Besides waffle sandwiches, the menu includes salads, fries and soft serve Wisconsin frozen custard.
[Image via Google Maps]