On Saturday, the winners of the annual Great American Beer Festival (GABF), which awards medals in 84 categories of beer styles, were announced in Denver. San Diego breweries scored 14 medals at the prestigious competition, including 5 gold, 3 silver and 6 bronze.
Taking home coveted gold medals are AleSmith Brewing Co., Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits, Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station, Benchmark Brewing Co. and Saint Archer Brewing Co.
Among the other winners were Societe Brewing Co., Karl Strauss Brewing Co., Green Flash Brewing Co. and the just-launched Bagby Brewing Co. See below for a complete listing of the award-winning San Diego beers.
- AleSmith Old Numbskull by AleSmith Brewing Co. – Gold (Barley Wine-Style Ale)
- Grunion by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits – Scripps Ranch – Gold (American-Style Pale Ale)
- Oatmeal Stout by Benchmark Brewing Co. – Gold (Session Beer, 94 entries)
- White Ale by Saint Archer Brewing Co. – Gold (Belgian-Style Witbier)
- Witty Moron by Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station – Gold (Other Belgian-Style Ale)
- Guillaume by Pizza Port Ocean Beach – Silver (Session Beer)
- Hop 15 by Port Brewing Co. – Silver (Imperial India Pale Ale)
- Piper Down by Ballast Point Brewing & Spirits - Scripps Ranch – Silver (Irish-Style Red Ale)
- Asphalt Jungle, Bagby Beer Co. – Bronze (Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout)
- La Flama Dorada by Pizza Port Ocean Beach – Bronze (Belgian-Style Tripel)
- Le Freak by Green Flash Brewing Co. – Bronze (American-Belgo-Style Ale)
- Mosaic Session Ale by Karl Strauss Brewing Co. – Bronze (Session Beer)
- Shark Attack by Port Brewing Co. – Bronze (Imperial Red Ale)
- The Pupil by Societe Brewing Co. – Bronze (International-Style Pale Ale)